5 Tips for dealing with exams!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Yes, yes everyone exam season is creeping upon us and some of you guys may be doing GCSE's or taking your A Levels and the struggle is VERY real. I do envy the days when I did my GCSEs because they seemed like the hardest thing in the world but literally nothing compares to the stress and expectations of College.
I am one of many retaking some of my AS exams and my god the stress is just piling on. It would be alright if I was just taking exams but getting into university is an even bigger mission, I knew portfolios was going to take up my time but bloody hell it is really something else.

Now, everyone has different ways to deal with stress and to be quite honest I love to take naps. Lets just say I could win an award for being the ultimate procrastinator. All my friends are stressing more about their retakes than there other exams, most of us are taking 4-7 different exams in about 2 months time and it may seem like we still have time but before we know it its a month before we're on study leave and that is when shit gets real!

All your teachers are probably pestering you about starting revision and doing extra work outside the usual homework stuff they give us and usually it goes through one ear and out the other but from what I have learnt in the past PLAN PLAN and PLAN!! set out revision schedules around your school time and work (if you have a job) but I am one who clearly gets distracted by Netflix, YouTube and Tumblr very easily and lets not forget the notorious Snapchat.

So enough with the rambling, here are my 5 top tips for dealing with exams.

  1. Download SelfControl, I don't know if it only works on MacBooks but it basically blocks the sites you place on the blacklist for how ever long your want to study. This helps a lot if you do get distracted by YouTube or Tumblr. 
  2. Learn what kind of studier you are. For me I am very much a visual learner so mind maps, tables and diagrams are what help me revise the best. Also acronyms and word associations help me a lot because they are really simple and you make them up yourself usually.
  3. Eat brain food! Fruit and nuts help me a lot and drinking loads of water so you don't get dehydrated from long hours of studying and if you're like me and get tired very easily coffee is your best friend!
  4. Get a buddy. Plan study groups with your friends in your class who may have the same free periods as you. Helping your friends understand a certain concept also helps you because it is learning a new way to teach it which can only help benefit you. 
  5. REWARD YOURSELF! Studying can be really tedious and long hours of studying everyday can become very discouraging so maybe for like 6 hours of studying watch an episode of show or something. 
Yasmeen xo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts